Ok, it's apples.
But around here, we don't grow apples,
we grow pineapples.
And we've got so many coming in
at the same time that I've been
looking for ways to use pineapple.
Now, the following is not necessarily
creative, but it is not the norm
in my baking repertoire...
Rod suggested that we make
one of his childhood favorites...
pineapple upside cake.
For whatever reason, that's not
a cake I had ever made before,
so it sounded like a great idea.
It turned out really yummy
so I thought I'd share it with you.
Maybe you're craving a little
sweetness from childhood too.
So...
from the patch...
to the cutting board...
We started out melting a half stick-ish of butter
in a cast iron skillet.
And then melted in brown sugar until it had dissolved.
Then Daddy carefully arranged the pineapple slices...
and Tristan and I added the batter to the top.
And after it comes out of the oven-
the great reveal,
turning it upside down.
Heaven indeed.
Here's the Southern Living recipe I followed:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I actually omitted these)
1 (15 1/4 oz) can pineapple slices
(we used fresh pineapple and juice)
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Melt butter in a 9 in cast-iron skillet.
Add brown sugar and pecans; stir well.
Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup
plus 1 tbsp juice; set juice aside.
Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer
over brown sugar mixture; set skillet aside.
Beat egg yolks at medium speed of an electric mixer
until thick and lemon colored; gradually add sugar, beating well.
Combine flour, powder, and salt; add dry mixture to yolk mixture.
Stir in reserved juice.
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form;
gently fold beaten egg whites into batter.
Spoon batter evenly over slices in skillet.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 min.
Remove cake from oven.
Cool cake in skillet 30 min;
invert cake onto a serving plate.
No comments:
Post a Comment