For the last several months, I've been contemplating doing away with the blog.
This blog.
My blog.
Obviously it's a tough decision for me, or else I'd have made the decision already and wiped it off the net!
To be honest, I have no idea who looks at my little space here in the webmosphere. For all I know, I'm solely writing to myself right now. That's okay. I have realized that one of the primary reasons I've kept this blog up so long is because I like it.
I have enjoyed this space to share my stories and photography with whomever might stop by to visit. I have found it surprisingly relaxing to write here, summing up our family's adventures and laying out the happenings of our life. I've loved sharing my recipes and projects. And what a treasure it is for me to go back and read entries I've written about my children and all the little things that made up our days as they have grown and changed. I have valued this record of our time!
So why then, am I entertaining the thought of not doing it anymore? Well....
As much as I love to take care of this little blog, it does require something on my part. T.I.M.E. In this last six months, I can unhappily report that my always-present list of creative projects in the works has hardly been touched. Scratch that. Hardly would be an underestimate. The primary culprit? This blog.
It usually goes like this...if I have spare time, I feel the need to update the blog, leaving other creative to-do's on the backburner. While the blog has proven to be a valuable tool, I'm trying to assess if it is worth my time to continue.
Also...
More than once, I've shared my love for Project 365. What appeals to me about the Project is the exact reason I started this blog ...to record our everyday life. I'm going on Year Three of P365 -wow!- and I've realized that in many ways, my purposes are overlapping. Aren't I duplicating my efforts?
All that to say that I have made a decision.
To not make a decision.
I love it here.
But I'm going to take an official hiatus for a few months and see how I feel then.
I'll set a date on the calendar and vow to leave the blog untouched, not posting a thing, until that date rolls around.
In the meantime, I intend to catch up on some projects around here that have called my name for far too long. I really don't want to delete Everyday Life entirely, but I need to release myself from it. Release you say? Yep. From the self imposed pressure of not keeping it up to date as often as I'd like.
What will happen at the end of three months? I figure I'll either miss it terribly, or decide it isn't worth my time investment.
So...April 25th it is.
Geez.
I'm more than a little surprised at how sad I'm feeling about reading that in black and white.
But time will tell.
If you're interested in weighing in on my thoughts, I'd love to hear it.
Plus, it'd be nice to know you're there.☺
You can leave a comment here or email me heididavisesq@embarqmail.com
See you in three!
Heidi
7 comments:
Well I will miss you! In fact I HAVE missed you. I use blogs...yes, it's true....lol, I'm using you! It is a 'delightful' break when I want to throw the Medicare updates I am supposed to be reading right out the window! I get to enjoy the happenings of those who are having more fun than me....even it if is just for five minutes and then I go back to work again!
I LOVED seeing your recipes, and the pics of your pumpkins....you have adorable children. But only you can decide how to focus your life and what you want to accomplish with your T.I.M.E. so I promise I won't whine! I miss seeing Erin's....I think her girls are wonderful. Well, the older one is hysterically funny and the younger one is just gorgeous. I click on her blog, and the same date shows, so I go on to something else for my five minutes!
I'm certain this dilemma isn't easy, and I will be keeping you in my prayers that God will help you make a decision. On the one hand, I wish they had had such things when I was raising mine, maybe I would have been more diligent than the sad journal I half-heartedly kept, and have more of our 'moments' recorded there. (I love what Bonnie Revell is doing, the books from her yearly blogs! What a neat idea!)
On the other hand, do we get so busy 'recording' life that we don't spend the time we should 'living' it? Hmmm, I did a typo just now and the first time it came out 'loving', maybe that was a Freudian slip??? (smile!)
Find what you love, and DO whatever that is! I'll still be smiling when I think of you, imagining that you are still having all those wonderful adventures you shared with us! Thanks Heidi. Theresa Elliott
I will miss you :(
You'll do what's best. Thank you for the joy you have shared; you've touched my life as I see the Davis "Everyday Life."
as i have a to blog list that seems like a mile long, i totally understand, but PLEASE COME BACK!!! i love catching up with your family, your adventures, and being inspired by your kitchen and great writing. my little break has me ready to go again, and i am keeping my fingers crossed that yours will to!!
I keep up with your blog and enjoy reading your stories!
I'll miss you too:)
DONT GOOOOOOOOOOO! It is the highlight of my day and/or week. I am living vicariously through you!!!!
But, I will respect your decision. :0
Dee Dee
Post a Comment