Tuesday, March 11, 2008

And so the story goes...








This should be the end of one of the many contintuing sagas here at my house. You see, we've had a bird problem here. There is a particular male cardinal who took a likin' to my orchids when he was young. He has tormented my greenhouse ever since and I can't tell you the distaste I have developed for this bird. Just one example: I have a particularly rare orchid that blooms once a year....a paphiopedilum...it is gorgeous and I have been waiting on its bloom like a pregnant momma. Well, it finally blossomed and I was checking it twice daily waiting for it to open and then bring it indoors. Wouldn't you know that certain cardinal was also waiting ( I don't know if he thought it posed danger to him or if he liked the flavor) but he snuck in the greenhouse and bit the opening bloom ...he left an unmistakable beak scar across the flower...dang near cut it off. I can't express in words the frustration ....you might understand though when I say that I began an all out bird-hunt for that sucker. This has been going on for months!--he has ruined plant after plant. Rod found him in the greenhouse yesterday (he snuck in again) circling around checking out the other orchids about to bloom -there are several. My husband is my hero- he grabbed his BB gun - sshhh! don't tell - we both do have remorse about killing one of God's beautiful creatures...he was exquisite when we examined him post death. The kids say he died because "he couldn't get out of the greenhouse" and we are going with that cause of death. It's true...he DID die because he couldn't get out of the greenhouse. So, my son carried him around with him for hours yesterday (yes, dead)....he became a pet bird of sorts. Here are pix. Tristan was enthralled with it. He cried so hard when Rod had to dispose of him. All I can say is that my blooming orchids are breathing sighs of relief.





3 comments:

Heidi S said...

Those pictures of Tristan holding the bird are SOOOO funny! I love the first one with the bird's head flopped over to the side...a definite sign of dead-ness. Tristan looks so proud!

Robyn said...

I think that this has to be the most distrubed story I have ever read... Your children are forever damaged I'm sure...
Sarah, what do you think????

Anonymous said...

Well....my mom believes and for my job security I hope it's true. At some point in our lives most likely because of our parents we will all need therapy. And she always quotes Dr. Henry Cloud who says "a sign that you have been a good parent is when your children can pay for their own therapy!"

So... Tristan in a few years Call Me-We'll talk!:)
Totally kidding Heidi!