I decided that she is up for more challenging reads so I selected a book series that we will read a little bit of every night. My thought was that some nights we might only do one quick chapter, and others we might read several, depending on our mood and what we're up for. This is an introduction for her into chapter books. (I don't know if I have all the lingo right here as I'm not a teacher but I think that's what they're called. And you know, she might read these at school? But around here, we've just read storybooks) I wondered if she would remember from night to night what happened in previous chapters and if she'd follow along....so far, so good. I have learned with Aynsley that I seem to underestimate her more often than not.
I wanted to start with a classic - Charlotte's Web or Tom Sawyer (Rod said this was way too advanced and made me admit it was really me who wanted to read this favorite and visit ole' Tom & Huck) but couldn't find them in our local bookstore (good blog post for another time)
So.....
The Mercy Watson series. A darling pig named Mercy who gets into all kinds of predicaments. We just finished the first book of the series - Mercy Watson to the Rescue.
Our next: Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride
This book actually has received the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award. I knew that was a good thing but didn't know how it started so I (put on my Robyn hat and) did a little research.....
This is what I found:
The Award is given annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished American book for beginning readers published in English in the United States during the preceding year. The winner(s), recognized for their literary and artistic achievements that demonstrate creativity and imagination to engage children in reading, receives a bronze medal. Honor Book authors and illustrators receive certificates, which are presented at the ALA Annual Conference. The award was established in 2004 and first presented in 2006.
The award is named for the world-renowned children’s author, Theodor Geisel. "A person’s a person no matter how small," Theodor Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss, would say. "Children want the same things we want: to laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained and delighted." Brilliant, playful, and always respectful of children, Dr. Seuss charmed his way into the consciousness of four generations of youngsters and parents. In the process, he helped them to read.
The award is named for the world-renowned children’s author, Theodor Geisel. "A person’s a person no matter how small," Theodor Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss, would say. "Children want the same things we want: to laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained and delighted." Brilliant, playful, and always respectful of children, Dr. Seuss charmed his way into the consciousness of four generations of youngsters and parents. In the process, he helped them to read.
If anyone would care to join us in our Book Club, we'd love to have you!

6 comments:
Never heard of that series... it looks adorable... everyone has to love a good predicament!
How many books are in the series??
from what I can tell, six or so,
but I don't know if I have seen them all...
I want to do this now!!! I love this idea and it makes me wonder if Oren would be able to follow along given that he didn't hear the whole story all at once. I might just have to meet Miss Mercy!
Yes, they are called chapter books. And some others to try-Flat Stanley (not a series but good geography connection-Robyn!) and the Magic Tree House Series-First one is called Dinosaurs at Dawn. We've read both with Peyton and he liked them but of course, he is a boy so their tastes may be different. He really liked Flat Stanley-Oh and Junie B. Jones-very funny!!!!
I think my daughter would totally love this. We can read her a story one time and she can read them back to us the next day, sometimes word for word! This memory of hers will come in handy...Ha! I think this would be a pure joy to her, thanks!
We did Charlie & the Chocolate Factory as our first chapter book, then Charlotte's Web, and we are now on Stuart Little. I was kinda ambivalent about Charlie, and was afraid the movie would be a bit too "out there" (johnny depp version). The night after we finished C.W., we did the movie (the newer one) and C loved it. Now we are on Stuart Little! We read one chapter per night, and she sits through it and absorbs more than I think she is because she'll recount something later that I thought went right over her head. Happy reading :)
Post a Comment