My friend Heidi has inspired me to expand my vocabulary. I have always thought my knowledge of words was vast. In fact, when I first started dating my husband, he teased me because he thought I was a show-off when it came to vocabulary. I didn't know I was doing it but apparently, I used 50 cent words on a regular basis. I genuinely wasn't trying to impress him, I just believed you should step up your vocab and speak correctly. This got to be so funny to him that our 1st Christmas as husband and wife, one of his gifts to me was a very nice Deluxe Edition Webster's Dictionary. I was thrilled ! I cannot tell you the times I have referred to it.
I love words. I love to spell them too. When I was growing up, my mother encouraged me to compete in spelling bees. I thought they were very fun indeed. She always said "there is no excuse for misspelled words". I subscribed to her belief and it came in handy during law school. (Please do not understand me to say that I have not ever misspelled a word! That would not be true.)
Anyway, since I've been hangin' with the tots the last few years, I must admit that slang as well as other laziness of speech as crept into my dialect. Not so good. So today I subscribed to Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day to help re-energize my brain! I intend to share some of them with you and we can learn, or re-learn as it may be, together! We'll remember words like:
vet - to subject to expert appraisal or correction: EVALUATE
and..
unabridged - COMPLETE
(I know my blogging sisters can appreciate these as we just reviewed them!)
What fun we will have! Maybe in a couple weeks, I'll post a spelling quiz and we can see how far we've come. :-)
Today's word from Webster -- Sept. 12, 2008
replete • \rih-PLEET\ • adjective
1 : fully or abundantly provided or filled
2 a : abundantly fed
b : fat, stout
3 : complete
P.S. Did anyone find any misspelled words in this post?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am utterly exultant with the knowledge that you will be fervently seeking after an encroachement of your already superlative vocabulary skills. I too, feel that a highly developed word base is fundamental and vital. I will look forward to augmenting my current level of vocabulary knowledge with you as you embark on this laudable cause.
With highest regards, Heidi
I second whatever Heidi S. says! Haha!
Ya'll crack me up! Does this mean that Heidi S. will be changing her blog to "Living and Loving"??? LOL! :-)
Post a Comment