We celebrated my mom's birthday Sunday evening with Rod's almost-famous chicken wings and all the sides complete with birthday serenading from the littles.
The kids decided Emmy needed fresh flowers at her place setting (nevermind the minute mites and various bugs that subsequently crept on her plate) and so I let them set the table for everyone. This is what they came up with. The most important thing on the table in their opinion were the birthday hats.

The magazine rolled up there on her plate is Southern Lady. Are you familiar with this publication? I wasn't - It's a new one for me.
I discovered it the other and I love it! It's like a cross between magazines Southern Living and Cooking with Paula Deen. I mention it because the cover photo is a beautiful cake that I thought my mom would love. Plus it's red, white and blue and therefore party festive! The thing that stood out in this recipe is on top of the simple lemon pound cake is Limoncello Cream. If you are not familiar with Limoncello, it's an Italian lemon liqueur and when combined with confectioner's sugar and heavy whipping cream it turns into a delight on this cake! {2 cups HWC whipped until soft peaks form, gradually add 1/2 cup 10X sugar, and then beat in 1/4 cup limoncello) If you like lemon, you gotta have this cake!
My version:
The serenading:

Birthdays=Fun
2 comments:
That magazine is one of my favorites. They have good, easy recipes, where sometimes Paula's recipes are a bit much.
your cake looks so good! it looks like it turned out just like the picture! i love those magazines and trying to replicate as best i can. haha. cute 4th of july pics too! : ) miss you guys.
Post a Comment