Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Rest of the Story

June was a big month around here. I told ya'll about the Tooth Fairy visit, Vacation Bible School, and beachin' it for Father's Day....but I left out a lot of in-between. And I admit that it's intentional. I have a new summer schedule -in large part inspired by my friend Heidi, who has encouraged all around her to "not sacrifice the permanent on the altar of the temporary", especially this summer. I quote from Livin' & Lovin':

More book reading; less blog reading. More heartfelt praying; less routine praying. More playing; less to-do list checking. More snuggling; less saying, "As soon as I..."More movie watching; less web surfing. More paying attention to my husband; less passing him in the hall. More reading of my Bible; less leaving it on the side table. More resting; less scurrying on to the next chore. More exercising; less putting off. More time spent outside; less time spent inside. More soul searching; less being satisfied at the surface level. More showing of patience; less flaring of my temper. More swimming; less watching from the side. MORE PERMANENT; LESS TEMPORARY.

Heidi, I hope you don't mind my quoting you but you just put it so eloquently!
And I have diligently tried to check my focus. Some days it's not easy. It's not easy b/c I have a 4 and 5 year old that fight over the color of grass and those days I just want to tune them OUT. But I'm working on it nonetheless.

Overall though we are settling into summer rather nicely and I'm glad that my new summer schedule has a lot of this: sleeping in followed by coffee with my little Starbuckaroos & an early game of Candyland, perfecting my "canonball" into the pool, curling up with the kids for naptime, playdates with friends, trying a new recipe, late nights with girlfriends & coffee, staying up late with my kids watching movies, weeding my beds, cutting fresh posies, working on my photography skills, baking cookies, saying "Yes!" when the kids ask me to do __________!
& here's what I'm consciously trying to do less: putting off PLAY, being short tempered, sitting in front of the computer, & just being too busy with things that are TEMPORARY.


Here's a few shots of some of that in-between stuff this last month and it sure has been fun.

The Cure for the Common Climate: Jump In



Tristan wearing his new work gloves so he can "do what Daddy do-s". When he first got them, he wore them for 24 hours straight (minus his shower).



Aynsley with her pal Carson at the end of Cheer Camp week - she loved it!



Me and My Man out on the town celebrating seven years of wedded bliss.
(Really, it has been bliss. I Heart Roddy!)
Here we're at our sentimental favorite - Sakura for sushi.


One day, the kids and I made custom coozies for the boat for each one of us:


These next few are from a sunset cruise we took on Istokpoga
to enjoy the chinquapin blooms....

They smell SOOO good.





And Sweet Summertime Play - thank you Nicole for having us all!

Here's all the kiddos:

Little Girls...


And big girls too....



Sweet Summertime indeed. We're trying to beat the heat and enjoy every minute.

2 comments:

Heidi S said...

What a great idea to make custom coolies! Perfect for summertime!

Beautiful pictures on Lake Istokpoga! Your photography talent is shining through.

The Stivender Family said...

love the pictures. it was great seeing you tuesday!