"Dear Candy Manufacturers,
Are You Kidding Me?
C'mon...8 different colors/flavors of Peeps??????????!!!!!!
And sadly, this photo is only a small example...
in bigger stores like Wal-mart and Target, I've seen 3-4 AISLES of candy!
Seems to me that every stinkin' holiday these days
has been made into a CANDY HOLIDAY!
When I was kid, Halloween was the only designated
day of the year where candy ruled.
Now, you can find candy canes in SPRING COLORS.
{can't we leave the candy canes for Christmas?}
Don't get me wrong, I certainly do appreciate
a good Reece's Peanut Butter Egg this time of year.
But where did moderation go?
Before long, you guys will be making peanut butter flags for 4th of July!
Yikes!!!!!...I'm still purging Valentine's candy from my pantry!
It's just gotten to be too much.
Have you people read the statistics on obesity in this country?
And what about our children's teeth?
Have you no shame????
Signed,
A Parent on a Mission to "Can the Candy!"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sorry.
I had to get on my soapbox & get it off my chest.
It's just that I have reached a new level of frustration at the
amount of candy that is given to my children on a daily basis,
many times, without my knowlege!
So when I walked into Walgreens and saw this aisle...
well, I flipped my lid.
Now, I'm not a sugar-nazi. Believe me, every now and then
our family dives head first into a bag of Raisinettes for movie night.
{Mix 'em with popcorn and it's to-die-for!}
But that's a rare, special occasion.
These days, candy is given as a reward everywhere we go.
My kids come home with candy E.V.E.R.Y. day.
They get it at school,
at church, even from neighbors.
Lately, I feel like we're under candy attack.
Is it just me or is anybody else concerned about this?
Maybe everybody else's kids behave just fine after
consuming piece after piece of nutritionally-void crap.
But mine...they turn into hyperactive brats after a package of Nerds.
If you're thinking... "well, don't let them ingest it!'
Believe you me, if you asked my children, they'd tell you
that in fact, Heidi-Hitler-of-Candy is their mom.
I wish I didn't have to be so restrictive .....I wonder
why we (parent's + teachers) can't work together?
Why do I get to be bad guy while the candy-doller-outers
get to be the good guys?
Alright. I feel better.
I'll just go find a Peep and calm down.
☺
4 comments:
amen sista!!! august won't even try to eat real food, but candy he'd try all day long if i let him. maybe i should package some veges in a colorful candy wrapper.
also, it has always aggraviated me that some people feel the need to ALWAYS reward kids (often with candy) for doing what they are supposed to do or asked to do. now, i know that good choices need to be recoginized, but being rewarded for all of them is a little (or alot) much. more focus needs to be placed on the feeling of doing the right things, not the rewards that may come.
o.k. now i can get off my soapbox and go buy some peanut butter eggs!! (maybe not right now, but soon. those eggs are by far my favorite holiday treat ever.)
I totally agree with you Erin. I'm trying to teach my kids to be kind, be helpful, and make the right choices JUST BECAUSE THEY SHOULD. Not because they get a reward. I appreciate your soapbox thoughts.
Curious what all those teachers out there have to say on the topic? I'm likely opening myself up for landblasting now...
I couldn't agree more! I just walked into Publix and about died over the display of candy...
Halloween is the same...drives me nuts. I usually allow them to pull a few of their favorites and then they are put up and they are rewards...but along with candy, we don't d deserts every night either. It is almost impossible to teach our children a healthy snack because all they see are candy at the registers, candy commericals and candy representing every holiday. Our Easter baskets do have candy, but it is just a few pieces and the rest is books or other items related to the holiday.
You go Heidi! Sounds like Erin and I both have your back!
Heidi, I am totally with you on this one. I think the reward all comes down to the fact that candy gets the kids attention in a inexpensive way. Not that I think that is a good excuse because stickers are very inexpensive but most kids could care less about them. I am glad Abby-Lynn likes stickers enough to appreciate them as a reward but most kids don't. Not their fault, they have been programmed. It got pretty bad when Abby-Lynn would ask for a sucker pulling up to the mail drop off box...(thanks to the banks in this fine country)
Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I agree with you and hate feeling like the bad guy every time I say no to candy on behalf of my kids. We moms need to stick together and just say no. Hahahaha
Post a Comment