I know what you'll guess.
Corned Beef and Cabbage, right?
Yep, you know me. And have no worry,
we'll have it tomorrow and be proper about it...
but tonight we were feelin' Irish with Sausage and Lentil Soup,
accompanied by Green Grilled Provolone.
I wish it photographed how good it tasted...delish!
Sausage and Lentil Soup*
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound sausage (chorizo, Polish, etc.)
7 ounces smoked ham, shredded (I actually omitted this entirely)
2 large onions, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme (I actually used fresh)
1 bay leaf
8 to 9 cups chicken stock (this is best if homemade)
One 16 ounce can peeled tomatoes, crushed
1/2 pound dried lentils (1 1/4 cups)
12 large spinach leaves, cut into small pieces (I just threw 'em in there)
salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until done.
Remove sausage and place on a platter, allowing time to cool.
When cool, slice sausage into 1/8 inch slices.
Discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings from pan.
Reheat drippings and add ham, onion, pepper, and carrot to the saucepan.
Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. It'll look like this:
Stir in garlic, cumin, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
Add stock, sausage, tomatoes and lentils. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, turn off heat and add spinach, S & P and let stand for 2-3 min. before serving. Enjoy!
As for the green bread, I ordered the special loaf from the Publix bakery
{thanks to a tip from my pal Robyn}
and my kids were absolutely excited about eating it!
It inspired Aynsley to request green eggs for breakfast in the morning.
Let me know if you try it!
*I got the recipe from The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook (a standby favorite)
No comments:
Post a Comment