Tuesday, September 22, 2009



Truly, as I started this post, it was not intended to be a "tip" but rather a story...but then it occured to me that it was Tuesday & as I thought about it, I decided it could indeed qualify for 2Thumbs Up Tuesday......it's something tried, tested and I guess 2-cents worthy (I'll let you be the judge of that). Plus, I haven't posted a 2 Thumbs Up in quite some time. So I'll share with you a tip that I have discovered - kinda by accident.


When school kicked back into routine and the kids were gone from the house, I made my normal early morning walk through the house-you know--laundry picked up /thrown in the wash, beds made, breakfast dishes washed, and other 'straightening up'-- kind've a general clean-up of the aftermath of the 6-8 a.m. morning chaos that goes on around here daily. When I got to the kids' rooms I started making their beds. But instead of just straightening and smoothing and tucking in, I decided to get creative. Perhaps I thought I'd simply have a little fun. On Tristan's bed I propped up his favorite friends Black Bear and Lion with tools from his workbench complete with safety goggles fastened to their heads. I wondered he'd even notice and if so, what would he think? In Aynsley's room, I set up a few Barbies having tea and scones and propped all the pillows just so.


Fast forward to the afternoon-->when Tristan returned back to his room, I got more than I expected. He noticed alright. And he was thrilled with delight that his room had been abuzz with activity since his departure....he just could not BELIEVE that Black Bear and Lion had been messin' with his stuff! They'd had fun without him! He just raved and raved about it.


As for Ayns - she was "on" to me - but she loved it too. I didn't intend for it become a daily thing - I think I was just having fun playing for their toys honestly. {Shh, don't tell} but now when they get home, the first thing they do is go check out their room. They love it so much that I don't want to stop ...so I keep setting up a different scene, nearly every day. This morning when I went in to do my handy work, I noticed that Aynsley had beat me to it- she had made her bed just so and added a few extras. This time, she made ME smile!


So here's my 2 thumbs up tip: Make the bed. Creatively. !


It only takes a second and your kids or grand kids {or husbands or wives- think creatively! :-) } will get lots of minutes of smiles because of your effort.





3 comments:

Heidi S said...

This is one of the sweetest things I've heard...and fun too.

I'm going to try it!

Robyn said...

That is precious - definetely 2 thumbs up!

BuckeyeNP said...

I love it! I only have four more weeks to make beds and straighten up the house after the morning chaos (after that, the chaos will prevail). But I'm definitely going to try this in the mean time! Claire loves her Little Ponies, I'm already thinking as to how I can set them up. :)