Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fruit of the Day

I'm having a Thankful Tuesday.

I know. Every day should be a thankful one. I try hard to maintain a grateful heart every day. But Thankful Tuesday has a certain ring to it doesn't it? Probably not as good as Thankful Thursday but today is Tuesday and I'm thankful, so let's roll with it.

Today I am thankful for Apples. And for Aynsley. And for Aynsley eating apples. By the tens!

But mostly I am thankful that God is constantly doing a work in me --every single day--He is molding me to be a better mom to Aynsley, who loves to eat apples.
Lost ya yet? That's okay. It makes sense to me and since it's my blog, I can ramble if I want to about fruit. ☺

Lately, Aynsley has been eating us out of house and apple cart. If "An Apple A Day Keeps the Doctor Away", I wonder what 2, 3, or 4 will keep away? We'd like to think a whole lot more. When it comes to Aynsley lately, I'm hoping that God provides me more wisdom based on the amount of time I've spent praying Aynsley prayers. Geez! She's really been upturning the apple cart these days!

I am thankful for her. Even these days, when she provides me more parenting challenges than I feel equipped for, {Can anybody direct me to the child instruction manual? I'd be soooo grateful!} I am blessed to be her mom. It scares me that she tries her best to copy me-I nonchalantly watch her in the mirror when she stands beside me as I apply my makeup-she carefully applies chapstick as if it were a pretty shade of red. I peek in and observe as she moves about her room, thoughtfully organizing and decorating just-so, much in the same way I do in our home. She learns by what she sees. Her little eyes and ears take in every detail.
Sometimes those details aren't what I want her to copy! Sometimes the things she picks up aren't things I want to teach her. Know what I mean? Yikes! What a constant motivation for me to be a better example!! It boggles my mind. It makes me ultra aware of my faults and flaws and need for change.
I am immensely thankful that God above is in control of our lives, and I'm thankful that He has a great plan for her, no matter how many mistakes I make! And I am thankful for what He is teaching me, as I teach her. He gently nudges me when I need to improve, when I need to make my attitude more like Jesus', when I need my character shaped as I try to shape hers.
Oh, in the midst of these challenges, there are great rewards. I am so very thankful. For God's grace, for His gift that is Aynsley, and for lots of apples. A little silly, and a lot true.
Sons {and daughters!} are indeed a heritage from the Lord, children, a reward.
Psalm 127:3
Here's to a Thankful Tuesday!
Now go eat an apple!

2 comments:

Heidi S said...

What a great post! As you say, we can definitely be thankful that God oversees our daily lives and works - even through us - to bring positive results.

You are a wonderful mother! He knows your heart and will reward you for your diligence.

This brings to mind one of my verses! Isaiah 40:11...He leads His flock like a shepherd, He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart. HE GENTLY LEADS THOSE WHO HAVE YOUNG.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi, great post. keith and I were just discussing this about our children and how they sometimes mirror us..the song about"i wanna be just like you cause he wants to be like me"came to mind. God help me look more and more like you cause they,our children, are watching : )