Tuesday, March 17, 2009


It should be no surprise what is for supper tonight.

Corned Beef & Cabbage. May the luck o' the Irish be with us. Or whatever.


Anyway, there are lots of ways to make corned beef but I'm gonna tell you what I do. You may have a tastier way and therein lies the entire point of this column "what's for supper?"--share it with us!
My mother-in-law turned me on to Murphy & David's corned beef brisket and it's never done me wrong. In my grocery, I find it near the ham hocks, turkey legs and what not. There is a tiny seasoning packet that comes with it and do not think that because of its size it can't spice up that large brisket. Most of the time I boil it for several hours, like 3 or so, and then the last 15 minutes-ish, I add in my cabbage, onions, and carrots, which is just our preference. Add whatever you'd like. With buttered cornbread, you'll be good to go.
Tonight, I did something different and roasted it in a dutch oven (3 hours) and steamed my cabbage, carrots and onions separately. Rod preferred it the "normal" way I make it - all together in the pot.
We actaully have this for supper frequently....kids love it too. I will confess though that my favorite part about having corned beef for dinner is the leftovers. Oh my. There is no better sandwich than that corned beef sliced on bread with mustard and sliced onion. Hot dog it's good! And it's even better when packed on the boat...seriously...must be something about the salty air.

So tell me, what's for supper?

2 comments:

Heidi S said...

Is there anything you CAN'T cook? I've never made corned beef and cabbage. Now that I think about it, before I met you, I had never made a pork roast or a roasted chicken. It was in our very lenghty and serious discussions that I learned how and got the courage to try both of those. We have them on an almost weekly basis now, so maybe I should give the corned beef a try too.

Tonight we're having soup that I made last week and froze...Barley Vegetable. It was and will be delish. The most interesting part of it? It has real parsnips (as opposed to fake ones) in it. I had never used a parsnip before either!

Heidi said...

now parsnips I have not tried. Tell me what to do...

And I'm so glad you used the real thing! Imagine biting into fake ones!