"Confession, I have read Pride and Prejudice two hundred times. I get lost in the language, words like 'Thither. Mischance. Felicity.' I'm always in agony over whether Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are really going to get together. Ah! Read it. I know you'll love it!
Isn't that so true about the language in a good book? You could get lost in it. Sometimes I do! Books are some of my favorite things in life. Drama, mystery, intrigue, humor...and maybe all in the same story!
My friend Robyn informs on her blog that Saturday was Book Lover's Day. Neat. Didn't know there was such but it got me thinking. I am definitely a lover of books and have been an avid reader since I learned how. I started thinking back to the very first book I ever read by myself- A Cat in the Hat. That was just the beginning--I discovered Nancy Drew and classics like The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables. When you really ponder the books that had big impacts on you, it's an interesting walk down memory lane. I have had some great teachers in my life (in school years and while an adult!) that encouraged my appetite for reading. If you're a teacher--remember that your efforts to make reading fun and exciting are never wasted efforts! Reading is just so darn important. And reading all kinds of books is also important.
Anyway, I thought I'd share one of my all time favorites, A Land Remembered. Man, is it good. If you haven't read this one, make sure you do. Especially if you're a native Floridian.

I had the privilege to meet the author a few years back. What a neat man! I tried to find the snapshot of us that was taken that night but was unable-- I can share his simple message written in my book...
Here's some basic info I got from Wikipedia:
A Land Remembered is a best-selling novel written by author Patrick D. Smith, and published in 1984 by Pineapple Press. It is a historical fiction set in pioneer Florida, and its story covers a century of Floridian history between the time period of 1858 to 1968.
A Land Remembered focuses on the fictional story of the MacIveys, who migrated from Georgia into Florida in the mid-1800s. After settling, this family struggles to survive and runs into a bit of fortune during changing times. Patrick D. Smith, a multiple award winning author, was born in Mendenhall, Mississippi, and later moved to Florida in 1966. He wrote A Land Remembered in 1984. This was his sixth published novel, following The River Is Home, The Beginning, Forever Island, Allapattah and Angel City.
Interestingly, this book is normally available as one volume but is commonly given out in Middle Schools for projects and such in two separate volumes.
Check it out! You'll be glad.
And thanks, Robyn, for prompting my recollection of how and why I started being a lover of books!
No comments:
Post a Comment