This week: Rice 'n Eggs
Thanks, Heidi S., for planting the seed for me to share a comfort food that my family enjoys regularly. Rice 'n Eggs. This dish is not fancy nor is it gourmet, but it is good. It's something I had ever heard nor tried until my sweet mother-in-law made it for me. According to my husband, this was something she made frequently as he and his sister grew up. He classifies it as a childhood favorite. And now it is for our children too. My MIL says that she would make this dish for breakfast when they had left-over rice from dinner the night before. (I have been known to make a pot of rice just so we can have rice and eggs!) Around here, we have had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's great for a Sunday night! Here's what I do for our family of 4 and there is never any left over! :
Scramble(whisk) 4-5 eggs. Add a small amount of milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Put a dollop of butter in a saute' pan - a tablespoon or two- if you're Paula Deen, add 1/2 stick! - whatever you like. Add to the raw scrambled eggs about 1/4-1/2 cup of rice (any kind but we usually use long grain white rice for this). This measurement is not exact-sometimes, I don't have much rice left over and sometimes Rod requests heavy rice-just gauge it according to how chunky you want it. Pour this mixture into the buttered pan on medium heat and watch it carefully. Scramble as usual ---I am VERY PARTICULAR about my scrambled eggs and I do not walk away from the pan until they are the right consistency- but scramble as you normally would, turning the mixture a few times until done. We usually eat it with hot buttered toast.
Tried. Tested (lots!) and Two-Cents Worthy.
3 comments:
No we haven't met...I saw the idea on Bonny's blog (Bonny and I were in the college of Ed. together at UF). The rice and eggs look yummy. I'll have to try it, both my boys love eggs so I'm sure it would be a hit!
Megan
Heidi, Love it!! My childhood favorite that I have adopted to my family is "Eggs and Pasta" (any kind of pasta works great- kids really like macaronis) Prepared the same way.
Interesting!! I'll try pasta too, Dawn!
Post a Comment