HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, DAD!
LOVE YOU!
I could list plenty of things that make my dad so great - here's just a few of them....
I took the above shot of my Dad while we were floating down the Ichetucknee River....a trip we took last year to celebrate Father's Day. I love this picture because it captures the unique smile that is on his face more often than not. He smiles easily and is ready to laugh at positively everything. Anybody that knows him knows that he can have fun wherever he happens to be, and with whoever he happens to be with. You've heard that old phrase: "he's never met a stranger"-well, that describes my dad perfectly. I truly do not know that I've ever seen him in a bad mood- maybe he just hides it well - but most times it seems he just has a gentle spirit of contentment about him. He loves his family, he loves to work and share his knowledge of flora and fauna, he loves oldies tunes, and he loves a good joke!
A prank here, a surprise there, you just never know what Pop's gonna do...several months ago, he decided he was going to enter a 5K. Now, that might not sound like all that big of a deal to you but to us it was quite noteworthy. My dad wasn't a runner. Then out of the blue, he's training for a race at the young age of @!#$! It's not that I thought he couldn't run, it's just that my 6'5''+ father is built like a strapping lumberjack, not like Carl Lewis. I can't tell you how proud I was of him for simply training for it. And then I was proud of him for seeing it through and finishing. But I'm incredibly proud that he finished his very first 5K with a time of 31 minutes and 22 seconds! Outstanding! { I'm not certain but that might have beaten my last 5K time...and I hate to admit it but when I run now I'm far too aware of my watch. :-) }
With a small bit of research I was able to find a shot of him at the start line of his 5K...he's the one grinning ear to ear & head and shoulders above the rest!
That's a good example of my dad-always surprising us. He's just the best! Thanks, Dad- for all you do for us, for lessons you have taught us about seeing the fun in the small moments in life, for keeping life entertaining and lively, and for just being you. Happy Father's Day!

No comments:
Post a Comment