Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Favorite

Buckeyes. As in the candy. Not the football team.

I ♥ them. Always have. When I was a kid, I got so excited when I saw my mom get out those basic ingredients: PB, 10X sugar, butter, chocolate, and that Gulf Wax box-- I knew what was coming....Buckeyes. And they looked like this:

For years this is how I've made them. Traditionally, I like to make them before we head to Alabama for Thanksgiving because my father-in-love (and my man) have a serious affinity for them. So today, on the eve of our trip north, it was Buckeye-making time. It's a time consuming treat to make - if you've done it, you know. It takes time to mix the peanut butter combination. Time to roll the balls. Time to melt the wax & chocolate on a double broiler. Time.
And then I watched Paula Deen make a treat that looked just like a Buckeye but simpler....I had to try it. I'll just say this....I'll never roll balls again. Never melt wax again. (who wants to eat wax anyway!) Never spend HOURS making round buckeyes again. This new recipe is so delish-your taste buds will not know the difference. Try it and you'll see. I don't know what Paula calls 'em, but we call 'em Flat Buckeyes. Here's how ya do it....

Mix the essential ingredients (see recipe card below for details) together:
Press mixture by hand into a foil lined pan:
Spread melted chocolate over the top:
And after several hours of chilling in the fridge, they look like this:


They're FLAT BUCKEYES. And they're gooood.
Tristan had one and hugged me! then said "Mom, you're the BEST cooker." (Thanks, Paula, for the idea!!!!!!)

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!
and it's yummy!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

The Stivender Family said...

hmm . . . tyring to figure out a way to squeeze making these in myself before we head out to tally.

Sarah said...

great idea, but i have a special liking to the ball shape!!! ill continue to spend time rolling the balls, but ive gotten pretty fast at it considering my tummy craves them every holiday season! haha. have a great time in alabama! ; )

Sarah said...

but i do have to say, Paula Deen has some great recipes! i just got back from the store collecting all of the ingredients for multiple desserts im about to make, and now i just have to make myself get off of the computer! haha