Tuesday, December 8, 2009



Christmas Music, that is.

I know, I know...some of you (I can't imagine it but I hear that it's true for a few folks) actually don't care for it much. But I'll bet that many of you are like me - you love Christmas Music! I ♥ it. I mean really it. I start playing it before the clock strikes midnight on Thanksgiving and I continue on throughout the season. Over the last 15 or so years, I have built up my Christmas Music Library to the extent that we practically hear a new playlist every day around here. My kids have grown to love it too...it warms my heart listening to them sing as they play about the house-everything from The Ronettes to Harry Connick Jr.- they've learned it all. Seems that all those tunes put a spring in our step and a smile on our face. I mean, who can sing "Thump-ity-thump-thump, thump-ity-thump-thump, look at Frosty go..." and not smile?


And what about a favorite? Boy that's tough isn't it? It would be hard for me to narrow that down because I love it all. I love the classics...nobody does White Christmas like Bing Crosby and though it's been recorded and re-recorded by dozens of artists, Nat King Cole's voice is who I want to hear sing The Christmas Song. I've still never had a roasted chesnut but he makes them sound so....well, warm and cozy!


And I love the traditional hymns. They're beautiful. And dramatic. And they help us imagine the angels singing on that Silent Night. O Holy Night, Angels We Have Heard on High, O Come All Ye Faithful - they warm the heart, don't they?


But I also love the silly favorites - I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - ooohh, that's a goodie. Oh and Meet Me Under the Mistletoe. See....it's hard to pick a favorite isn't it?


So I was thinking today....wouldn't it be festive to have a


Christmas Music Blog Giveaway!!!!!!!



For one of you blog readers, I'd like to make a Custom Christmas CD from my music library!
It'll be tailored just right to suit your tune tastes. You just have to give some feedback about your faves...

So, here's how it'll work.

If you don't have a blog, simply leave a comment here (if this sounds foreign to you, simply click on the small print at the bottom of the post that says "comments") and share a few of your ALL TIME favorite Christmas songs.

If you do have a blog, grab this giveaway button below and post about your ALL TIME favorite Christmas tunes. You might even have a little story or memory you'd like to share relating to the songs-I'd love to read it! Simply link back to Everyday Life and your name will go in the drawing!



At the end of the week, I'll do a random draw from the comments and links and select one of you to win the custom made CD. And we'll have a Holly Jolly Christmas! Burl Ives style! ☺

7 comments:

Cperez06 said...

Heidi, reading this post about Christmas songs, I felt as if I could have written it. LOL. I absolutely LOVE Christmas music. ALL OF IT!!! From country to the classics. Right now what is pulling on my heart strings is Christmas music as it is performed by christian music artists. I listen to the local christian music station that is playing round the clock Christmas music. I can't get enough of Chris Tomlin and Mercy Me or Francesca Battistelli singing the favorites "Joy To The World", "Angels We Have Heard On High" and Francseca's newest "You're Here". Love them all. I can't pick a favorite.

Heidi S said...

That's tough one to answer! Just yesterday, we listened to Christmas albums of Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin and Alabama. There's so much great music to take in this time of year and I'm with you...it's something to love!

Spencer Girl said...

Ok, I haven't commented yet because well, I just had to think about my answer. I do NOT dislike Christmas music but I also do not listen 24/7 during the holidays either. I also have the same issue with not being able to pick favorites. "Go Tell It on the Mountain" is up there on the list. "White Christmas" by Bing is the ultimate classic. "O' Holy Night" is just beautiful and I do enjoy some "Joy to the World."

Unknown said...

Personal fave of mine...Domnick the christmas donkey! :)

The Stivender Family said...

heidi check out my post:

http://thestivenderfamily.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-entered-did-you.html

Nicole said...

I love Christmas music too. I do the same.....as soon the special station comes on XM radio, I tune in! Some favorites: The Christmas Song, Merry Christmas Baby, Baby It's Cold Outside (not sure that is the title), Away in a Manager, O Holy Night.....and many more. Our Girls' Choir at SHS was chosen to sing at Epcot one year for Christmas. We had a GREAT time!

Robyn said...

Love Christmas Music! My favorite by far was an orginal poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" written during the despair of the American Civil War...yet the bells still rang and reminded Longfellow that "God is not dead nor does he sleep"! Some of the words have been change from their original poem, yet what history, what meaning, what timeless Truth!

Then from each black accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn
The households born
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!"