It's been a BUSY week. And it's only Wednesday!
A little busy goes a long way around here.
We are accustomed to lots of "down time".
Snuggle time, hangin'-out-in-the-back-yard-time, exploring for bugs time,
examining flora and fauna time, bakin' cupcakes time,
playin'-ball time.... you get the idea. UNSCHEDULED TIME.
It's good for our soul.
And when we don't get it {in sizable quantities}, well, the fam is off kilter.
So today, I decided that it was time for busy to come to a screeching halt. I know from experience that BUSY distracts me from being
the mom, wife, daughter, & friend I want to be.
A friend of mine's mom says
"If the devil can't make you bad, he'll make you busy".
Know it to be true?
And the worst part is....sometimes I CREATE THE BUSY. Crazy, isn't it?
Anybody know what I mean?
So, for example, this morning--instead of multi-tasking various chores
while mopping the floor
and folding laundry and making phone calls
AT THE SAME TIME! ,
I decided to do just one thing at a time,
(all the while fighting the urge not to break down and go back to my multi-tasking ways.)
Now, don't get me wrong.
There were things I had to get done today-
But I culled the list, prioritized, and decided that they
would get done at a slower pace.
I have discovered that that doesn't happen by accident!
It only happens when you decide to get rid of busy.
Even if for a single day, or a couple of hours.
Anyway, for the afternoon, I shoved my 'to-do' list right out the window.
The goal: To not be busy. To soak up God's blessings. To sigh "Ahhhh".
It's a marvelous thing.
Tristan and I spent some time in the hammock,
soaking up the warm rays of the sun
and swaying back and forth.
--there was a clear blue sky and a cool breeze --
it was absolutely fantastic!
Tristan was curled up beside me and he was quiet and still for a LONG time. Long meaning at least 4 or 5 mintues. I actually thought he had fallen asleep. But apparently he'd been contemplating the sky...I was surprised to hear his serious voice....
He said:
"Mom, there just isn't.one.single.cloud. in the sky. Not one single cloud, Mom."
I said: "You're right T, it's a clear sky today.
I guess God wanted a clear sky today so he didn't paint in any clouds."
He thought about that for a few seconds & said:
"But Mom, why did He just disappear 'em?"
It was a really cute moment.
I'd have missed it if I hadn't said Bye to Busy.
*Ahhhhhh*
3 comments:
Some scheduled computer time at 11:50 P.M. because of "busy"...finally some down time! Baking valentines treats, baseball, valentine's tea with Nana, dance, pictures, church, lessons, messes...I wouldn't trade it for nothin! I will miss BUSY one day! :-)
P.S. Of course you know laundry and cleaning are not part of my busy...so it is the GOOD kind of Busy! :-)
Kudos for you to do away with that list for the afternoon. The dividends were worth it. What a cute conversation with Tristan!
Post a Comment