Thursday, February 11, 2010

{Yes, I know it's Thursday.
But Tuesday was BUSY, remember?, and I didn't have time to post this.
So let's just pretend today is Tuesday -they both start with a T anyway-and get to it...}

My tip for you this week: have some fun in the kitchen and CUT UP!
Your kids/hubby/grandkids/ will love it and you will too!
I don't know who has more fun with food in fun shapes...me or my kiddos. Today was train-shaped PB & J's. F.U.N.! See that dinosaur there? The other day I made Tristan's ham sandwich in that shape but then took the "sandwich remains" and used them to cut out a little flower--I arranged it like the dinosaur was eating the flower. I know....Rod had to reel me in cause I was having too much fun packing lunches.
But, seriously, it doesn't take any more time than normal -- a couple extra seconds -
than if you were simply slicing it in half.

You can cut anything to add a little bit of fun to your day...cheese, fruit, toast, pancakes, you name it! And since Valentine's Day is fast approaching, why not Cut Up in heart shapes? Put a little love in your breakfast!

You can buy these sandwich cutters in just about any kitchen store.

The ones pictured above came from Williams Sonoma --they have great shapes, they're ultra sturdy and they come with their own sandwich holder thingie.
But I've seen them at many stores, from The Dollar Tree to Bed Bath and Beyond.
Hey, if you're crafty, free-hand it!
Or try a cookie cutter...sometimes they work with sandwiches too.
Two Thumbs Up for Cutting Up!

2 comments:

Ashley Weber said...

I love this idea! Your kids will always remember the extra step you take to give them joy. And I love the fact you use re-usable sandwich containers. :)

Heidi S said...

There's nothing like a shaped sandwich to get a kid to eat! Here, we do dinosaurs, fish, and circles. I'll have to look for a train. Nolan would "eat that up!"