It was one of those parenting moments when I needed to exhibit the Fruits of God's Spirit and instead I exhibited angry mommy. Wish I could admit that it's only been with parenting that I've blown it this week. Seems to me that lately, I'm a little weak in the overall self-control department. Ever have that problem?
For me, it seems to be one of those weeks. You know, the weeks when you are overly impatient, easily irritated, utterly un-disciplined. With everything. And there is no reason for it. I have a tremendously blessed life and last time I checked, crabby is NOT a Fruit of Spirit.
Having said all that, today is new day. And there is Help waiting if I ask. So this morning, I spent some extra time in my Bible searching for scripture to claim and cling to this week for the moments when I am overly impatient, easily irritated, and utterly UN-DISCIPLINED.
You know, we can be un-disciplined in lots of ways.
Think about this definition:
Self-control: restraint exercised over one's own impulses, desires, or emotions.
I was thinking about that this morning and contemplating all the areas in which we tend to show a lack of self-control... with our emotions, with our nutrition, with our physical exercise, with our time, with our mouth, with our finances, with our __________.
So I thought I'd share a couple scriptures from this morning that spoke directly to self-control.
Maybe you don't have self-control issues. More power to ya. But if you're like me, and sometimes you just need help controlling self, these might come in handy.
Galatians 5:22
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness,
and self-control."
2 Peter 1: 5-9
"...make every effort to add to your faith, knowledge, and to knowledge, self-control;
and to self control, perseverance;..."
(The NIV life application to the above verse says:
God wants to produce His character in us.
But to do this, He demands our discipline and effort.
As we obey Christ who guides us by His Spirit,
we will develop self-control,
not only with respect to food and drink,
but also with respect to our emotions.)
Psalm 121:
"where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth."
Romans 8:26
"the Spirit helps us in our weakness."
I made a little card with the verse that spoke the most to me and I've set it by my kitchen sink
so it will "sink" in during the many minutes I stand there...
May these verses come to my mind as I strive to have a better day than yesterday.
On this Wednesday, I'm gonna be intentional to "add to my faith self-control". Here we go!
2 comments:
I am so glad that you are so candid and open about losing your self-control sometimes. I often feel the same when I blow up at the kids knowing I could have taught them so much more by keeping my calm. I always struggle with my self-control concerning my eating habits and exercise. Thank you for both convicting me and providing the scriptures for encouragement!
Glad I had time to stop by Everyday Life this morning! Your post could'nt help but to speak to every mom alive! Thank God that he gave us HIS son to forgive us of our "blowing it" situation of the day!
Post a Comment