Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My First 15K

9.3 Miles. A long way. I had a blast! Below is a picture taken of the start of the race at 6:15 a.m. Sunday morning. It was so exciting, complete with fireworks, music, and of course Minnie herself was present for a pep talk. The first 2-3 miles we spent weaving in and out of the roughly 3 thousand ladies to settle into our own pace. The course started at the Animal Kingdom, we ran through MGM, around the Yacht Club and into Epcot. A beautiful run. Finish line was right outside the big sphere as you'll see in the picture below...






This shot was taken as we ran through MGM Studios - roughly Mile 6 (now they call it Disney-Hollywood Studios). Pictured is my buddy Doreen who ran the entire race with me. It was so neat that along the course there were spectators everywhere cheering you on. All of the Disney employees would line up along the course and encourage you along. Awesome experience!





Here, I'm about to cross the finish line..you can see Epcot in the background. I finished 9.3 miles in 1:49:24...unexpectedly early for me.



Post race showing off our medals...



It was great fun -- now I'm setting
my sights on new and bigger challenges...I'm planning ahead for the
Innagural Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon -- March 2009
Who's in with me? :-)

4 comments:

Heidi S said...

SOOOOOOO AWESOME!!! Hip-hip-hooray for you!!!! It looks like it was a great time. Maybe I better reconsider my decision that I won't run any more than 3 miles. What a sense of accomplishment you must have! I'm so proud of you as I'm sure everyone else is too! Great post!

Heidi S said...

Oh...I saw where you beeped me the other day. Sorry I haven't called back. Things have been in a slump around here. I'll call soon. Maybe we can get together one day next week at the Source???

BuckeyeNP said...

wow!! good for you. That is so cool. The longest I ever did was a 10K and I swore I would never do it again. Brian just ran his fourth marathon on Sunday (Flying Pig in Cinci) and I think he is nuts. Congratulations on your accomplishment!! :)

Spencer Girl said...

Good Job Heidi! I am definitely impressed.