Tristan's latest passion is catching lizards. Not just any lizards...baby lizards. He spends hours daily finding them. As you would expect, he doesn't mind crawling around under the deck, covered in dirt and grease, scratched all over his legs and arms - when he's on mission, he's in heaven. Every time he catches one and brings his find to show me, I have wondered....how is it that he can find SO many baby lizards out there...is it hatching season or something??? Yesterday I decided to follow him on his expedition to capture some footage, documenting his endeavors. I felt like I was following Steve Irwin through the marsh...Tristan, with his running commentary about the best place to find the "baby ones", was very entertaining! I learned quite a lot....apparently baby lizards don't like grass but prefer to hide in the flowers or run along the deck. And the babies are quicker than their bigger counterparts. I stayed close behind as he quietly slipped around the yard, watching carefully for any slight movements -- then he'd cry out "There's one!!!, Mom...aw, but it's just a daddy one...". Only baby lizards will do.
Actions shots: On The Prowl
This'll be like Where's Waldo. Can you spot the baby lizard?
Hint: Look under the blue tractor.
Pounce!!!!!!!
After a while, I left him alone to his search and went inside to play with Aynsley but it wasn't too long before he came running inside to tell us -he had success! Very pleased with his catch....
For the next hour, that "pet lizard" was Tristan's toy. Poor creature.
Warning to lizards...stay far, far away from the boy in the yard.
Note the dirt on his arm and hands... I love it!
Finally, the lizard could take it no more and I told Tristan to take him back outside.
Tristan thought better though to deposit him into the garbage can...."he was not feeling well".
Lesson: Don't expect sympathy from Tristan when you're not feeling well - it'll be trash time!

1 comment:
I would like to inquire about the possibility of 'renting' Tristan and exactly what his hourly rates might be? I can have fresh baked cookies? Chocolate Cake? Apples, grapes, or even PB & J's? Shoot, I'll make a contribution to his college fund!
I have a front porch, and a back patio too, that I clean often. The most egregious (that is my word for the day) form of dirt that is deposited there is 'droppings' from lizards! Did you know there is no spray, no trap, no way of ridding yourself of them, once the cats you've had for 12 years get old and no longer desire to hunt them? No, I do not want another cat.
I am thinking that every baby lizard caught is one less likely to grow into a momma or daddy lizard. And since my only form of control so far is to equip my husband with his B-B gun and send him lizard hunting (and there is always the off chance that a stray shot will damage something....the screen?), I could really use Tristan's services. A kinder and more humane way of extermination maybe? You know I may need to tune in for the next episode, I've been told some of these may be from frogs!
Theresa E.
Post a Comment