Tuesday, October 27, 2009


When it comes to holiday decorations {I mean all decorate-able holidays}, you probably fall into one of three categories.

1) You are a creature of habit and put out your decorations mostly the same way/in the same places throughout your home, each year.
2) You like change and so you put out your decorations in some of the some ways but mostly you rearrange the holiday decor according to your present mood.
3) You could care less about decorating your home for EACH holiday and right now, you're thinking...I barely have time to DECORATE, much less CHANGE it for each holiday! {Secretly, you're thinking...."Heidi, are you crazy???"} Warning: if you are in this category, read this post with caution. :-)
I am a mix between the first two though if I were honest to admit my habitual tendencies, I'd tell you that I am most comfortable with at least knowing how I did it before so I can decide if I want to keep it the same way, or change it.
If you're like me in that way, it's sometimes hard to REMEMBER what "last time" looked like. For me, I'll get down the box(es) of decorations from the attic and let them sit for days as I go through them, trying to remember what went where. Sometimes, it takes far too much energy to re-invent the wheel - I'd rather be able to just put it all out however I did it last time. Make sense? Therefore, last year, I started taking pictures of the "holiday arrangements" in my home so I could file them away (digitally) and when I needed a memory refreshment, I could look it up and get inspired! This has become a very handy tool. Especially as I accumulate more holiday decor as the years go by and I honestly cannot remember where I put all that stuff! {I'm not into clutter, but I do believe it's good to gradually add a few things to your holiday collection each season.}
So this season - in early October - I gathered up all my fall decorations and then went to the computer to consult my decor folders. I didn't have to wonder..."now how did I do this last season?"-I knew exactly how I did it last season! Now--I didn't necessarily do it the exact same way as before - I refreshed my previous ideas a bit - but I didn't have to spend hours wondering where I put those cute little jack-o-lanterns last year? Right here is where I put them...
Most of us set out something extra during the Christmas season, so even if that's the only time of year that you get festive, it will be invaluable to be able to see how you did it last year!
All that to say, my 2 Thumbs Up tip today is:
"Create, then Click"
~Create your holiday ambiance, then click some pics so you can remember how you did it!~

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I do the same thing! It has made Christmas decoration SO MUCH easier...still a mess...but easy!