Monday, February 23, 2009

~ Home ~

"It's where the heart is."

It's where my heart is.

I've noticed something recently. When I run into friends and acquaintances I haven't seen in a while, I ask something like "How's it goin'?" and I've been hearing a lot of this: "Busy...Busy...We've just been so busy". Busy is good I suppose. I myself stay busy too. There are long lists of things to do, clean, accomplish, plan, etc. etc. and I happen to be a real "do-er". I don't sit well. I multitask constantly. To my detriment.
Anyway, we've been busy as of late too. It seems like we've been gone from home a lot. No big trips anywhere, just gone- being busy; busy with work, busy with extracurricular activities, busy with church, busy running errands, busy taking care of all that needs taking care of. Busy Livin'! And it's good stuff. But as these days get busier, it seems our times just being home and hangin' out get fewer and farther between.
Ya know what? Busy sometimes takes us away from the really important things in life. Busy gets us distracted from being still. And we're so busy....we don't even notice! Seems these days, we're more likely to book up all our time-with seemingly good stuff-and unless we stop and realize it...our busy schedules sort of rule us.

Which brings me to my point. My friend Heidi recently said to me that home is where you get grounded. She's right. And I really "got" that today. This morning as I pattered around the house, pickin' up and cleanin' up, I was thankful just to be home. Catching up. A small amount of time to notice the little bits of us scattered all around here. Mmmmmm, It's good to me.
I intentionally scheduled today to not be busy. Make sense? And Oh, how it has been worth it....hearing my kids playing (or fighting, depending on the hour) in the background, doors flung open, pre-Spring breeze blowing through, and I soaked up the simplicity of just being home - getting grounded as my friend says. Here are some of the things I stopped and appreciated today here at home.
The view from my desk. I recently moved my "office" to the den and I absolutely love it. Most of the time this window is open to the deck and I can hear the birds singing and the trees blowing. Deep breath.
Evidence of a little boy in play....

This next pic is the result of me asking Aynsley to clean up her room, specifically her desk area. This is her idea of cleaning up: neatly stacked mini dishes carefully atop her ballerina bag. Classic Aynsley.
Looks clean to me! :-)

Jack has dragged monkey through the dirt and here he rests. Until the next playtime.

So, it's a lesson I'm working on. Less Busy. Being Still. Being Home. Lovin' It.

1 comment:

Joanna Weiss said...

Hey Heidi,
I can totally related with this post. Mom always says "I love being in my home" and it's so funny I do too! It's just not that often. :) You're right - sometimes we get so busy we forget home is where we are grounded. That is something I hope to pass on to my children. Great Post!