Yes, the Big Game is on. And for that reason, I guess today is noteworthy. But beyond the Steelers and the Cardinals, today is special to me.
Seven years ago, on this day, my Roddy proposed marriage in a most romantic and unusual way. Here's the story. We have a thing for sushi and had met at our favorite restaurant for dinner on a Friday night. Little did I know that he had met with the head sushi chef (whom we refer to as Koz) and requested that my engagement ring be placed atop the spicy tuna roll that he knew I would order. From what Rod says, he had in mind the ring being the centerpiece of the plate -- artistically positioned in a creative way, maybe on a heart designed of asparagus or some other really cool display (If you have experienced the elaborately creative and dramatic style of presentation by sushi chefs, this makes perfect sense to you). But apparently because of the significant language barrier, Rod's idea got lost in the instructions. This became clear to him when my main course arrived and I grabbed my chopsticks ready to dig in but noticed that Rod was fixated on my plate. He kept eyeing me & then the plate, back and forth, with the most peculiar look on his face. He says he was thinking "WHERE IS THE DIAMOND RING????"
Obviously oblivious to the foiled plan, I interpreted him to be wanting my tuna roll instead of his own so I said "Honey, do you want some of mine?" Ha!
About that time I noticed out of the corner of my eye that people were watching me from afar, including Koz. I was beginning to catch on that something was going on, especially when Rod started pointing to my plate and gesturing like mad to Koz indicating "where is the ring????"
Koz had placed my ring in cellophane and wrapped it up inside the tuna roll! In other words, had I not noticed something shiny that didn't belong in my food, I'd have bitten into it!
So, I fished it out, unwrapped it and before I knew it, Rod was down on his knee beside me with the big question. It was hugely romantic and beyond memorable and I'm not sure of which he was most relieved, that I said Yes! or that the ring had been recovered and wasn't down the drain in the back kitchen. Just teasin'. :-)
The rest, as they say, is history. I have kept the bit of cellophane in the ring box (if your brain thinks like mine, then you'd be wondering what I'd be wondering and to answer your question, no, it does not smell like fish) and got it out today to leave my betrothed a love note in it.
So naturally, today's Project Pic is us on our "anniversary", and the Super Bowl.
3 comments:
You two are QUITE the love birds. Congratulations on your "anniversary."
I have to say that my favorite part of the story was when you said you "fished" the ring out of your sushi! I love a good pun even if you didn't intend it that way!
I did realize it as I typed...wondered if anyone would catch on..
So cute. Loved the story. Love the picture project thing too. you guys are too cute. :)
Post a Comment