
For some time now I have noticed a gentleman walking down the side of the road that heads to town. It's a busy road, lots of traffic - certainly not an ideal place for leisure walking. I first noticed him about 6 weeks ago and what stood out to me was that he was always carrying a grocery bag filled with one item. Just one bag. Just one item. Every time I saw him. You may have seen him too if you live around here.
He walks with purpose like he's on a mission, and he doesn't dally. I've passed him enough now that I've patterned his routine and I think I've got it down. He walks to town, to the store specifically, where he purchases that one item, and then he trots back to the east side of town where I assume he resides. I don't know where exactly he starts this daily journey but I can tell you that this whole trip to the store by foot is not a walk in the park. It's far, people! And I run distance so I think I've got a good idea about it.
Now think about this. This guy walks I don't know how many miles, nearly every day, for what seems like the sole purpose of purchasing a single item only to carry it home.
By now, you're probably wondering what it is he buys.
A 2 liter bottle of Coca-Cola.
Yep, that's it.
This guy is willing to walk an awfully long way, risking his life (I know this because I know how fast I drive on that road), every day, all for a bottle of soda! Now, I'm certain I don't know the whole story here, but on the outside, it sure would seem that this guy is thirsty. And I mean thirsty. So this past week when I passed him, I got to thinking about that....he seems very willing to go way out of the way to quench his thirst. Very quickly a particular verse of scripture lept to mind.
"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." John 7:37.
Jesus invites us to quench our thirst with Him. The NLT goes like this "Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink— even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk—it's all free! Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good?Listen to me, and you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the finest food."
I was convicted immediately. I know I'm thirsty, spiritually speaking, but do I head straight to God to quench my thirst? And do I go about it with determination and focus (like walking for miles in the heat while dodging cars)?
Do you get what I'm saying?
I think God used that fellow on the road that I've been watching for weeks to bring a point to my mind and cause me to contemplate how I'm quenching my thirst. For days now, I've been tossing it about in my head....Just how thirsty am I? Do I seek after that living water like my life depends on it, like I've got to have it to survive? Do I go to great lengths to quench my thirst - as if I'm on a mission? And do I let Jesus quench my thirst? Or do I quench it with all kinds of other things?
When I pass that guy walking to get his Coke, I think "he must be thirsty, man!". I want someone who passes by me to know I'm thirsty too, and to know that I'm on the road seeking after Jesus to get my thirst quenched. Every day. And with determination.
Just how thirsty am I?
And just how thirsty are you?
2 comments:
Wow! Such a good post! The pic is cute too- I always love learning something from the simple things in life, like you do. Sometimes I find that though I do thirst for Jesus, it's not a thirst like you are talking about-focused and determined, doing whatever it takes to get what He wants for us. Thanks for the reminder to quench my thirst in the right way!
Heidi, Thanks for the reminder to be observant of those around us! Great anology! Made me think:)
Post a Comment