Tuesday, May 12, 2009




This week: Homemade Granola

I'm not big on store-bought granola mostly because it's usually too sweet. {Now, don't get me wrong, I like my sugar alright. And when you add butter to it, it gets even better :-) but.... }

So because I want granola to be healthful- I just make my own. I try to cut down on the sugar and I like to add flax seeds, which are oh so good for you. If you can't find flax seeds, try some flax seed oil which is equally as good for you (side note: flax seed oil is a great addition to protein shakes...you don't even taste it)


(if you want to print this recipe card you should be able
to double click on the image and print)


Mix your dry ingredients...oats, sugar, salt and cinnamon...


...and heat your oil and honey. Remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla.


here's what it looks like after baking...ready for dried fruit....

This is good all by itself. Sometimes I eat it for breakfast, cereal-style, with skim milk poured on top. Sometimes I toss some into a container of yogurt.

And sometimes.....

I get really crazy and make a parfait.
Today's treat....fresh mango with mango yogurt with granola on top.

Ahhhhh. If only I were enjoying this sea side.



Homemade Granola: Two Thumbs Up!



2 comments:

Robyn said...

Love the step by step pics -- how professional! :-)

BuckeyeNP said...

That looks delicious. My mom makes a really yummy homemade granola too, she used to always make it for the Keys trips too. Soooo good!!