What a trip! That's what I keep hearin'....and from the looks of the pictures, it was quite a trip. Hopefully the few that I chose to post will give you a glimpse of how beautiful the sights were and how much fun they had.
Their catch was awesome. I think we've got enough fish to eat for at least a year. Rod brought home 200 pounds of halibut, salmon, and ling cod. And lots and lots of memories of great time spent with family and friends in a most pristine place. Some basic info: Temps were in the 50's. Most of their fishing days were overcast, misting rain and just"down-right cold". They fished for 4 days, 8-10 hour days. Their last day in Seward, a few of them hiked the Exit Glacier and I included some pix below.
They stayed at the Windsong Lodge in Seward. Big log cabin, crackling fire to keep you warm...I've put my name in the hat for the next trip. :-)
Doug, Rod, Poppie, and Mike
The brown blobs up on the rock are sea lions. Apparently the guys also watched several whales too but the pics don't do them justice so I haven't posted them.

Here's a sampling of Rod's catch of silver salmon:

and a sampling of Poppie's catch- halibut:
The whole crew displaying the catch for the day.
Here's a note for my coffee lovin' friends: Rod said very near to where the above picture was taken was a little coffee shop ON THE DOCK. CoHoJoe's. His choice off the menu: "Sludge" --it's "house coffee with a shot of espresso and vanilla flavoring". Now that's the kind of fishin' I have in mind.

The last day they were there, Rod, Doug and Mike decided to hike the Exit Glacier. The trail is a 7 + mile hike up the mountain, much of it in snow, and at the top is a spectacular view of the Harding Ice Field. Here is one website if you want to read up on the treasure: http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm
This is a pic of the sign depicting the trail.
Rod & Doug takin' a break on the hike.
Apparently they got hot with all that hiking and wouldn't ya know it, it would be my Roddy who shed his clothes......
At the top of the mountain is this shelter for hikers that need a reprieve from the weather. I wished Rod had taken pics of the inside but he described it well....guest book to sign-in, blankets, snow shovel, and some other basics to survive if you were stuck in inclimate weather. It sounded like something from the movie "Cold Mountain".









2 comments:
Those pictures are just breaktaking!! What a trip of a lifetime. I, too, would like to try some "sludge"...maybe Rod could try to duplicate the recipe for us to try! (Salmon & Sludge anyone?)
These pictures are phenomenal! I can't wait to show them to David.
Sludge? I want some! Let's try to duplicate it like Robyn said.
Your greeting to Rod from home inspired me to make a version of one for David when he went to Jupiter. Thanks for the idea!
Post a Comment