My family has been spending summers on Big Pine Key since before I was born. For that reason, the Keys for me feels like sort of a second home. The older I get, the more I feel emotionally attached to that neck of the woods. Just ask my husband. If we don't get down there during the year, he says I get "side-ways" and pout for weeks at a time. (Hmm. I'm sure I don't pout!) Rod grew up diving, snorkeling, and lobstering down there just like me and so as we build family memories, we want to continue the Key's tradition. Our kids have experienced it already.....though Rod thinks they won't remember posing for pics with the Key Deer at 6 weeks old. I don't know if we'll make it down this year simply because of my husband's Alaska excursion this summer...life sometimes gets in the way! But nevertheless, it's a part of our life.
That's why this news of Betsey the lobster is of note to me. If you've ever traveled South to the Florida Keys, you've probably noticed a gigantic lobster on the side of US 1 in Islamorada. It's been there for YEARS and has provided an excellent back drop for photo opportunities for lots and lots of folks. Its home was in front of a unique shopping plaza called Treasure Village and apparently, the owners of it have leased the facility to a charter school and in so doing have to move the 40 ft. lobster, which by the way is an exact replica of a Florida spiny lobster. Betsey is pictured below. From what I read, it created quite the commotion as locals wanted it to remain part of the Keys. The big question was where would Betsey go? I understand they are moving it down the road to sit in front of a restaurant. I don't know when this is all happening so if you should head south, keep an eye of for Betsey. I don't think you'll be able to miss her!

No comments:
Post a Comment