
Aynsley and I have finished the Mercy Watson series. Well, the first 3 books anyway. The books are cute- beautifully illustrated with delightful pictures. One theme in all the books is that Mercy the pig really loves hot buttered toast. And she has a one track mind so she is always thinking about it and how to get more of it. In this last book (Mercy Watson Fights Crime), she is awoken in the middle of the night by the smell of butter and assumes it is coming from the kitchen where someone is making her toast. The smell motivated her to creep downstairs where she found a thief who poses as a cowboy stealing all the kitchen appliances. The thief happened to like butter candy & as he chewed on it, she tackled him to the ground to sniff it out.....very cute....I won't give away the ending but it was our favorite out of the series.
Generally, I think the writing is geared for a starting reader and it's ideal for that but for a parent to read aloud, it's a bit verbose...lots of "he said" and "she said"- I found myself paraphrasing as I read to get through all of that.
We're on the hunt for our next book selection and we'll keep you posted in case you want to join along.
No comments:
Post a Comment