Man, you're gonna get your moneys worth today. :-) I realized it was Wednesday and I had not posted a 2 Thumbs Up Tuesday post yesterday. Therefore, today, I'm sharing a 2-thumbs-up-tip, my Project pic of the day, and giving you a story. All in one post. Seatbelts buckled?
Passify me, if you will, while I start with an endearing story. Ever heard the one about the "SHMILY" couple*? As it is told, there was this couple that had been married for over half a century. From the time they met, they played their own special game. The goal of their game was to write the word "shmily" in a surprise place for the other to find. They took turns leaving "shmily" around the house, and as soon as one of them discovered it, it was his or her turn to hide it once more. They dragged "shmily" with their fingers through the sugar and flour containers to await whoever was preparing the next meal. They smeared it in the dew on the windows overlooking the patio. "Shmily" was written in the steam on the bathroom mirror, and hastily scribbled on notes left inside shoes and under pillows. It was written in dust upon the mantel and traced in the ashes of the fireplace. That mysterious word was as much a part of that couples' house as was the furniture. Those that witnessed their little game never doubted their love for each other. They had love down pat. It was more than their flirtatious little games; it was a way of life. By their devotion to one another and passionate affection, they showed their family and friends how to appreciate the blessing of marriage.
What, you ask, did "shmily" mean?
S-H-M-I-L-Y: See How Much I Love You.
This morning I opened my jewelry box to get out a pair of earrings. Inside one of the drawers is a green drycleaning tag that was stuck to Rod dress shirt and he put it there some months back. (You guys know those tags....it identifies what customer the article belongs to). He put it there as part of a little game he started lots of years ago. As he buttons his shirt in the morning, he pulls off that green tag and usually it gets thrown in the garbage can. But every so often, instead of throwing it away, he hides it in places where I will find it later. He's been doing it for years and it has become a funny game to us...sometimes he is rather creative where he places them and the timing is sporadic so I never know when I might find one. I have found them in my jewelry box, in the coffee pot, in the Qtip holder, and taped to notes left on the kitchen counter. I usually leave the tag wherever I find it as I like to find them later again and smile. But some years back, after finding one dangling from my toothbrush, I decided to re-hide them for him to find too. One time I mailed a tag to him at the office. I would have loved to see his face when he opened up the mail on his desk marked "Personal".
So this morning when I glanced in my jewelry box and saw that familiar and lovingly-placed green tag, I was reminded of the above story that I read long ago. Rod's green tag says to me "See How Much I Love You". And I'll not hide the truth from ya....on days when he's made me madder than a hornet, those green tages go a long way!!
All that said, I snapped a picture of my open jewelry box drawer for today's Project 365 pic of the day.
So how does that relate to "2 Thumb's Up Tuesday"? Well, it's a basic tip that we already know but sometimes we can use a reminder. Here ya go: Make it a point to remind your loved ones how important they are to you. Every day. Sometimes we get so darn busy, we take our days and our relationships for granted. And the tip doesn't just apply to your spouse.... make sure the special people in your life- your kids, your parents, your friends- know without a doubt that you love them. Show them: SHMILY!
*story taken from "Night Light" by Dr. James Dobson.
1 comment:
What an appropriate post since Valentine's day is right around the corner. Sweet.
Post a Comment