Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2 Thumbs Up



Today: "The Jesus Habits" - a great book by Pastor Jay Dennis, senior pastor at First Baptist Church at the Mall in Lakeland.
Seems as though when January rolls around, we become mindful of how and why we do what we do-our habits, our rituals, our tendencies. Hello, Resolutions!
Don't know 'bout ya'll, but I think January is a good time for list-making and goal setting. I love that feeling of a new slate with loads of potential! Maybe you're looking for a new book to start out the year. Maybe you're contemplating which new Devotion or Bible Study to dig in to. (If you're unfamiliar with a daily devotion, I can tell you from experience how life changing it will be for you to get in God's Word each and every day and just spend some time with Him! If you're not already doing it, I recommend that be your #1 Resolution.) Hmmm..maybe I'll post some good ones I've done through the years and maybe you guys could share some too....then we'd have a host of possibilities for the New Year.
I digress.
Anyway, I thought it would be a good time to make mention of a book that I have used as a resource many a time. The Jesus Habits is easy to read, easy to follow, and is chock-full of basic, applicable habits of Jesus Christ as he ministered to the people--things we intuitively know he did, but Pastor Dennis lays it out nicely and it's like examining Jesus' daily habits with fresh eyes.
As a side note, several years ago, our church had the privilege of hosting Pastor Dennis for several weeks as we participated in a test study that corresponded with the book. Through that and having his lovely wife Angie come and speak at one of our women's conferences, we learned that they both are delightful people.
So pick up a copy and pick up some habits from Jesus in the New Year!




No comments: