Friday, January 16, 2009

Obviously, I wasn't ever a Girl Scout

Coldest weather we've had all season I believe.


Yesterday Aynsley headed to school and Daddy to work and Bub and I found ourselves home alone, and quite cold. I spent some good quality time with the girl on Sunday so it kinda worked out nice that he and I got some in yesterday. We decided to collect ourselves some firewood and make us a fire! I told him to gather up the wood and load it in his Gator and hadn't even finished the sentence before he had it cranked up, gloves on, loading wood. Oh what fun. He thought he'd hit the big time. Although he kept telling me that "we shouldn't do this without Daddy". Guess he associates fire building with Papa Bear. I assured him that Mommy, too, was capable of getting some flames going. I have a Bic after all. :-)

Truth be told, starting a fire with a Bic is not as simple as it sounds. This is the part where I'm gonna sound like a real GIRL. I really did think that I could collect some wood and set it aflame. Ashamed to admit it but it's true. Tristan told me over and over...."Mom, ya need some leaves!" Guess a 3 yr. old boy knows how to get a fire going better than me. Once I threw some pine needles in, we were set and I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway as I did the fire dance in celebration.


Proof that a girl could survive in the wilderness if she had to. (Well... if I've got a lighter. And a preschooler to give advice.)



No comments: