Do you recall a couple months back, several posts about the dreaded freeze that overtook my yard?
Does this jog your memory?
I was so afraid I was going to have to dig up and replace every stinkin' one of those plants. Instead, I completely dead-headed them to the ground and I am very happy to report that they are coming back! Spring has sprung!! Here is that same bed today:
Whoo-Hoo!
Beyond that, I decided it was high time to get out there and do some replacin' to some other plants that had seen better days. Better days = before freezing temps.
After all, things around here were starting to look like the Adams Family's landscape.
So a trip to the nursery was our family outing on Saturday and we had fun picking out some spring annuals to spruce up a few beds. I like to change out the annuals seasonally and I had hoped that the kids would get into helping me this time around. Did I just hear you laugh out loud? You're right...they stayed interested in that labor for all of 10 minutes and then they took to just digging in the dirt. And taking pictures of me digging in the dirt.
Tristan really did think he had done his part. I found this - evidence of a little boy trying to copy what his momma was doing...his is the plant sitting atop the ground with half of its roots torn off. :-) Oh, how I love that boy.
Honestly, he was a good helper. But his preference of jobs involves spraying. Anything.
"These need a 'wittle wertilizer', Mom"

It was a great weekend at home. And our yard is happier for it. I've got several more days ahead of me of weeding and edging, but we hit it a good lick! This might just be my favorite season of the year. I found this quote by famed entertainer Helen Hayes and I think it is quite appropriate for me:
~ All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar. ~
No comments:
Post a Comment