Last night was Chicken Pot Pie.
This is one of those dishes that you can make a thousand ways and add lots of different things to make it your own. Here's what I usually do depending on what is on hand in the cupboard.
I use pre-made pie crusts. Honestly, tell me who has time to make their own with multiple children running through the kitchen asking when is supper? what's for supper? can we have supper now? I'm fond of Pillsbury. Not all pie crust is equal. I think even Paula endorses Pillsbury. Anyway, I use one on bottom and one on top. In the middle is a mixture of:
chicken - if I have a whole chicken de-boned, then that's what I use. If I have a package of boneless skinless breasts, then I cut them up in bite size pieces and boil them in heavily seasoned water. Seasoned with? my normal salt, pepper, garlic, lemon pepper.
To that I add some chicken stock, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 can of Veg-All or whatever frozen veggies of your choice, and more spices. S&P, garlic, lemon pepper, rosemary (fresh is best) goes nicely too.
Feel free to make your top crust as creative as you'd like. As you can see from pic above, mine looked a little thrown together!...did I mention the kids were hungry?
Throw it in the oven 350 for 40 minutes or so--until it's nice and golden brown. Enjoy!
I make this on nights when I have something planned at night. I can put it in the oven and the family can take it out for home cooked dinner and me not even there!
1 comment:
I made this last night. I love chicken pot pie and have made it before but never this simply. Now I'll be likely to make it more often!
Post a Comment