Alright, before I even start in on What's For Supper, I'll just tell you guys that if fried pork chops did not make you want to share with me what you were having for supper, and tell me how to make it, then nothin' will! For crying out loud, share what's on your stove! I want you all to share what you really have...the meals that you can tell about without having to go look up the recipe. Now, if you want to do that, that's fine by me; recipes are good too, but don't feel like it's got to be some gourmet concoction. Occasionally, I just need a few new ideas for things to cook. Don't we all need refreshing?
All that said, let's get to chattin'. Ok, so last night we had something that honestly doesn't have a name except "can I have more of that, Mom?". It's soul food. Comfort food. Food to put meat on your bones. I guess we'll call it stew meat with gravy. It is a staple around here - we usually have it once a week or so. Here's what I do. I buy a pound or so package (for my family of 4) of beef stew meat which is usually cut up into very large chunks. I cut those up into much smaller bite size pieces, season them heavily with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then dust them in flour. Looks like this:
I heat a small amount of oil, enough to coat the botton of my pan, (whatever I've got....veggie, canola) until it's pretty hot and then set my meat in to brown. Whatever flour is left on the cutting board goes in too. I also get another handful of flour and sprinkle on top....that's where your gravy is gonna come in.
I cook the meat, turning over a couple times, until it's browned on both sides, but it shouldn't be cooked through. So, its impt that your oil be nice and hot before starting. Your flour will just cook down. It'll look like this:
At this point, I add several cups of water, enough to clearly cover the meat, cover with lid, and simmer for awhile. Awhile like an hour or so. Now, you'll need to stir it occasionally and make sure it doesn't burn. It will continue to thicken and thicken and your meat will get oh so tender. Once there is a thick gravy, I usally add a SMALL AMOUNT of Kitchen Bouquet. If you are not familiar with that product, it looks like this. I don't know if it's common or not, it's just something I picked up from my mother, grandmother, and aunt and I use it too. It adds a little browning to your gravy. USE IT SPARINGLY!
Now, I didn't take a picture of it at this stage...it might have been helpful...but you cannot really mess this one up. It's just gonna look like stew meat in savory gravy.
Now, 9 times out of 10, we eat this over steamed white rice but occasionally, we eat it over egg noodles.
So here's What's For Supper:
So here's What's For Supper:
6 comments:
I made something just like this last week...it's Paula Deen's beef stroganoff. I guess you don't need to be Paula Deen to come up with good recipes after all! It was delicious and your's looks yummy too! Let me ponder one of our home cooked meals....I'll have to get back to you on that one...Jared is the main chef around here!
I like this "What's for Supper?" idea!
I do something like this too but in the crock pot. My mom made this a lot so it's one of my comfort meals.
Ingredients:
1 lb stew beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope of dry onion soup mix
1 jar of whole mushrooms and
1/4-1/2 cup of water
Mix it all together and cook on low 4-6 hours. Serve over egg noodles.
It's called No-Peek Stew because...your not supposed to peek at it while it cooks!
I actually bought my stew meat today at the store to make it, but I might try your version instead. Of course, I'll have to pick up some Kitchen Bouquet. I've never heard of that!
I'm already thinking about what I'll talk about during next week's episode...
Don is the better cook in our house so I will only share when he is cooking, because you don't want to hear about chicken nuggets or the like. Tonight Don is home so we are having Grilled Chicken, Romaine salad and potatoe salad. We are packing it up and going for a picnic and Don and Morgan are going fishing after dinner.
Hope you all have a good evening.
Tonight it was Grilled Beef & Veggie Kabobs over Teriyaki Rice.
See full post over at www.hatchingcreativity.com
RHV
P.S. I can't wait to try the Gravy/Sauce maker -- never heard of it...
Yummy! This recipe is one of Trav's favorites. It can get spicy, so I am listing a not so spicy substitute beside the actual ingredient.
hamburger meat
onion, chopped
jalapeno, chopped (omit)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 can corn
1 can Orginal Rotel (mild)
1 can diced tomatoes
pepper jack cheese (mont. jack)
2 boxes Jiffy, plus the eggs and milk
Brown meat with onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Add in canned goods and heat through. Place in baking dish. (I have just starting cooking the meat in an oven safe pan - only 1 dish to clean!!) Top with cheese. I use deli slices, but shredded works just as good. Mix corn bread according to box. Pour on top of cheese and bake according to box temp. for about 30 minutes. I start watching it at 20-25 minutes just to be sure not to burn the cornbread. Enjoy!
Clarification: The Kitchen Bouquet helps to thicken and season and brown your gravy - it does not make gravy - it is hard to explain...you'll understand when you try it.
Heidi
Post a Comment